Eligibility Checklist For MBS 291 Assessment
Before making a referral for an MBS 291 psychiatric assessment through GP PASA, please check that your client matches the suitability criteria for this service.
By answering “Yes” to the following questions:
- Are you requesting a one-off assessment and management plan by a psychiatrist for your patient?
- Are you the patient’s usual treating GP and will you be responsible for their continuing care?
- Have you explained to the patient the intended purpose of clinical care coordination and the outcome of an MBS 291 assessment?
and answering “No” to the following questions:
- Is your patient currently in acute crisis?
- Has your patient attended an MBS 291 assessment with a psychiatrist in the past 12 months?
- Are you seeking advice, assessment and /or review regarding a presentation of Intellectual Disability for this patient?
- Is the appointment required for a third party (e.g. medico-legal requirements), a patient engaged in Return to Work SA, related to work as a first responder (military, ambulance, metro fire service and/or police)?
- Are there any risk factors that would make attendance by this patient at a private psychiatrist room inappropriate?